Sunday, November 18, 2007

Folks Who Get It: GMA's Robin Roberts Has African Americans And The Internet Cheering Her On!


ABC’s Good Morning America Anchor Is Making Black Folks Proud As She Stands Up To Cancer

Robin Roberts, 47, let cameras film her as she made the decision to shave her head on camera. Roberts has been losing her hair due to chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer. In her own words:

"It was devastating and draining. And as so many who have traveled this path before me had encouraged, as hard as it was, I knew what I had to do. I shaved it all off. You know everyone tells you to shave your head preemptively. To go ahead and do it before it starts falling out and I thought, no, not me, that’s not going to be me, because some chemotherapy patients don’t lose their hair. But let me tell you, I’ve joined that choir. That’s a bit of advice I now preach, because when it starts to fall out, phew, that’s rough. To wear a wig or not to wear a wig is a very personal decision for everyone who goes through this. This is my work, and I love my job, being part of your morning each day, but I never want to distract you from the story I’m reporting.

Source: ROBIN ROBERTS SHAVES HEAD ON T.V. [concrete loop]

Because I lost my father to cancer almost a year ago, everytime I hear that someone else is dealing with this bitch of a disease, I can help but feel connected to them. Keep your head up Robin. You got even more love coming your way then you could ever imagine.

My folks would have celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary November 29th and everybody, especially my mother, is dealing with this incredible loss the best way we can. Love em while they're here family. You never know when it's your turn.