Monday, July 30, 2007

IS 'HAIRSPRAY'S ELIJAH KELLEY GEARING UP TO PLAY LEGENDARY RAT PACKER SAMMY DAVIS JR?


"Hairspray" star Elijah Kelley is in talks to play performer in new Hollywood bio-pic.

"A Sammy Davis Jr. life story is in the works and they've been publicizing it and I would be selected to play him between 15 and 24," the 21-year-old Georgia borned actor, singer and dancer told reporters in New York.

"(It's) the story that really made him what he is ... sort of like in the line of 'Ray.' You know all about all his latter life, but here are the things that made him."

Elijah Kelley said he planned to meet with Davis Jr.'s widow as soon as he was done promoting the film musical, "Hairspray."

"(Davis Jr.) is the greatest entertainer that ever lived, in my opinion. I've seen clips. I've seen pictures. I've heard stories and just to be associated with somebody of his caliber is like bar none to me," he said. "I would really go in solitude for a long time to just get his mannerisms and everything down and, I swear to you, I'm going to do it justice."