Wednesday, April 25, 2007

WHY I CAN'T SHED TEARS FOR THE DUKE LACROSSE TEAM

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

I did not want to write or post this particular entry. I have been fighting the urge since I and the rest of the world learned that the charges of rape of a Black woman against the Duke lacrosse players had been dropped.

When I heard it, I was indifferent. They were rich white boys whose daddies had money to get them off just about anything they needed to get off for. There was no sympathy coming from me. It's just the way it was.

James Giles, age 53, served 10 years in prisons and 14 as a registered sex offender for a crime he did not commit.He lost his marriage, most contact with his family and couldn't travel 10 miles outside his home without permission. He was cleared by DNA evidence by an organization known as the Innocence Project.

As of today 200 men, most of them Black, have been freed from prison nationwide for being wrongfully convicted for crimes they did not commit due to the ability to test for new DNA evidence. Of those exonerated, 120 or 60% of them were African American.

Giles was the 13th man in Dallas County to be exonerated.

For more, click here.