Thursday, February 7, 2008

THE END OF THE WRITERS STRIKE: ARE WE THERE YET?


WILL CREATE FOR FOOD

BET held what they termed as a "job fair" last month in Beverly Hills. I went, with shoes shined and resumes in hand. I sat in front of a rep from New York named Wayne Brooks who looked like a football player. He seemed like a nice guy as we quickly exchanged pleasantries.

He read my resumes while I talked about myself as a writer waiting for this Writer's Guild Strike to end. "Well, we definitely need strong writers," Wayne said, "And from the looks of things you certainly have the experience. I'm going to pass your resume on to Robin [a BET exec who works in the LA office] and hopefully she'll give you a call." A few more kind words were swapped, then a handshake and I was gone. I've never gone on a speed date but I would imagine it feels something like that.

Avery's Desperate People story continues...