Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mary J Blige On Love and Marriage: Consider The Source


“Marriage is a challenge. I have never been married before. You have no idea how marriage has changed me. I have never been with a man who says he loves me as much as [Kendu] does. I didn’t believe in anything like that, I’m challenged to believe in him and trust him and it’s hard, but I’m doing it. Growing Pains is about trying to trust a man when you’ve never trusted one before. “

Your title is "Queen of Hip-Hop Soul" do you think any other artists deserve to hold the title after you?

Mary J Blige: You know what I honestly think? Anything to do with being a queen and a leader comes with responsibility. There’s a lot of people that qualify talent wise, but as far as strength to get through this stuff, none of them qualify. What are they doing? They may be talented, they may be pretty, but they have to also have heart to be given the title of a Queen. This s**t comes with responsibility. You can't just lead people; you have to love people as much as they love you. I love my fans. I mean I have sacrificed so much for my fans. I started to speak to them and I have never stopped. It feels really good that my life has saved someone else’s life – that my whole ministry has touched some girl out there.
Read the rest of her great interview on ALLHIPHOP.COM