Friday, October 5, 2007

MARION JONES GUILTY, IT'S OFFICIAL!


Because of this revelation, I really don't feel well today. I don't like myself and I'm not too happy about those around me. Perhaps I'm internalizing this too much. Maybe I'm too old to be believing in heroes. Perhaps no one is doing the "right thing" any of the time, anymore.

I ran track in high school and watched Marion in those Sydney Olympics. I even watch all the prelim races I could before she even got to the finals. It got to the point where she was so consistent with how she got ready to run that I would amaze my friend. When we sat together I could tell you everything she was going to do before she got into the sprinters blocks, when she was in the blocks and before the gun went off. I had her every movements and nuance down. And I realize this consistent routine brought calm and focus to her running efforts and I was mad that my own track coaches never hip me to something that was so basic.

America, I feel bad. You say you don't get me? Well, when I tell you the last time I felt this bad was when figure skater Debbie Thomas fell to the ice in the finals of those Winter Olympics ... I bet you know how I feel now. For those of you who want some of today's details, here they are below. And for those who are choked up like I am and don't care to read the gruesome details ... go to the next article.

JIM FITZGERALD of AP reports: For years, Marion Jones angrily denied using steroids. On Friday, she admitted it was all a lie. The three-time Olympic gold medalist pleaded guilty to lying to federal investigators when she denied using performance-enhancing drugs, and announced her retirement after the hearing. Jones also pleaded guilty to a second count of lying to investigators about her association with a check-fraud scheme.

Outside the U.S. District Court, Jones broke down in tears as she apologized for her actions, saying she understands she has disappointed her friends, family and supporters. "I want you to know that I have been dishonest and you have the right to be angry with me," said, pausing frequently to regain her composure while her mother stood behind her, a supportive hand on Jones' shoulder. "I have let (my family) down. I have let my country down, and I have let myself down. I recognize that by saying I'm deeply sorry, it might not be enough and sufficient to address the pain and hurt that I've caused you. Therefore, I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

After her tearful statement, Jones, her mother and her attorney drove away in a black limousine. She did not take questions.

Friday marked a stunning fall from grace for Jones, once the most celebrated female athlete in the world. She captivated the country with the audacious goal of winning five gold medals at the Sydney Olympics. Though she fell short -- only three of her five medals were gold, the other two bronze -- her winsome smile and charming personality made her a star.

Seven years later, she is broke, her reputation is ruined and she is looking at prison time.