Sunday, February 3, 2008

Let's Keep It Real, Are You SERIOUSLY Into Black History Month???


If a race has no history, if it has no worthwhile tradition, it becomes a negligible factor in the thought of the world, and it stands in danger of being exterminated. -Dr. Carter G. Woodson

Today I was disturbed because my 2nd grade students didn't know that February is Black History Month. Furthermore, when I asked them to tell me who were some black people who made an impact on the world, the only person they could name was Martin Luther King.

And when I asked them to tell me about Dr. King all they could say is that he had a dream. What's wrong with this picture? To make a long story short, I gave them a basic lesson on African American history and told them about some black people who contributed to American history. But I left feeling disturbed. We are raising a generation of children who have no connection to the past, no knowledge or respect for history...

Tasha is just getting started. Check out What is the Significance of Black History Month?