Thursday, December 20, 2007

Shaun Robinson Gives The Inside Scoop On The Wonders Of Stevie!

I always put off Christmas shopping until the last minute – I work best under pressure. A few days ago, when I entered Nordstrom’s the music over the speakers wasjoyful:“Sleigh bells riiiing, are you listening?”

Just as I thought of a gift for Heather, my dog sitter, I received a text message on my Blackberry from Kai Milla—an incredible clothing designer, whose dresses have been seen on Eva Mendes and many other Hollywood stars.“You coming tonight?” the message said.OH, that’s right! I quickly remembered the Stevie Wonder concert was that evening.

How could I forget?I love Stevie. I’ve seen him in concert about 15 times and I can never get enough. Kai happens to be married to Stevie and I hadn’t seen her in a while so I was ready to hang.I rushed to Popcornopolis to buy a bag of cheddar cheese popcorn before heading out of the mall, thinking about the long drive home and then to the Nokia Theater where Stevie was performing, hoping the traffic gods would treat me kindly.

I met Karen Gordy, another dear friend, at the Standard Hotel downtown where we parked our cars and “cabbed” it to the theater. We were late. We got to ‘will call’ to pick up the tickets Kai left for us. Anthony Mackie was standing behind me.“Hey babe,” he said, with a hug. I think he is such a good actor. Loved him in “8 Mile.”

Karen and I rushed into the theater just as Stevie was taking to the stage in a black suit and orange turtleneck. Whew!We were just in time to hear him sing, “Ava Maria”.It was beautiful. Stevie made us laugh when he told the audience that he messed up a few notes because he hasn’t performed that song since he was 16.

This was Stevies’ Annual House Full of Toys concert that raises money and toys for children in need. The event is so big that many stars come out to see the legend and the other artists who jam with him – all in the name of charity. This year Ellis Hall, who is also blind, sung, fittingly, “Do You See What I See”? Next, John Mayer (to the ladies’ delight) performed his hit “Waiting on the World to Change” and then rocked with Stevie on “Superstition.”

I turned around briefly and see my Detroit homeboy, BeBe Winans, making his way down the aisle. I waved. After a couple hours, just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, John Legend joined Stevin onstage for a duet.Then Kai motioned and told us it’s time to go backstage.We made our way through the crowd, through the exit doors, up the backstairs. My Spelman sister, LaTonya Jackson was walking up the stairs in front of me with her husband, Samuel L. Jackson.

Backstage the room was full. I spotted AJ Johnson, my other Spelman sister, looking fabulous and fit as ever.“Hey baby!” I turn around. It was Chris Tucker. “Hi, sweetheart!” I say. He is one of the sweetest guys I know.Don’t get me wrong, I love my job and have a tremendous amount of fun meeting the people that I do.

But there are a handful of people who get me really excited when I see them like Dr. Cornel West. Need I explain more?When I saw Tavis Smiley who is Dr. West’s good friend, I asked if he could arrange an introduction.Tavis laughed. “Dr. West, this is Shaun Robinson and she would love to take a picture with you.” As Dr. West finished his cookie, he smiled and said,“Certainly.”

CLICK!

My dad is going to love this. A few minutes later Stevie entered the room to greet everyone. He had just given an amazing three-hour show and still had boundless energy.I am so proud of this Detroit homeboy of mine. There are celebrities and there are STARS. And Stevie’s light still shines brightly.

Shaun Robinson is the weekend co-host of the nationally syndicated entertainment show, Access Hollywood and the host of TV One Access.