Saturday, July 5, 2008

Breakfast At Wimbledon: Venus Beats Serena for 5th Wimbledon Championship

Venus From Her 2008 Win, With Lil Sis

What a great way to ease into the rest of the weekend; a cup of coffee, your favorite bowl of cereal and the decidedly gorgeous Williams sisters battling each other on center court of the Ladies Wimbledon Finals of tennis. OK. Call it gratuitous ogling at lovely ladies, that I can get away with because my wife is a tennis fan too. So this morning everyone is getting what they want, except Serena.

This is the 7th meeting of Serena and Venus in a Tennis Grand Slam Finals. Serena won in a straight two sets and it was no cake walk 7-5 and 6-4 respectively. Serena now holds the edge with six wins to Serena's one win in Slam Finals.

They both looked in top shape and together demolished Nathalie Dechy and Casey Dellacqua yesterday in the Wimbledon Ladies Semi Finals and will play the finals tonight. I always hate it when these two play as it of course brings back memories of my own Sibyl rivalries with my brothers. Like Serena I'm the youngest of three boys from Detroit and... oops sorry I digress into my own issues. I'll save this for my Wednesdays therapy session.

I love me some Serena in so many ways and tennis being one of them but I can't help rooting for Venus as she really hasn't been able to win in any other "majors" lately. But at age 28 Serena owns Wimbledon with five wins and if that's her thing, then Serena and the others need not step to the grass at Wimbledon.