Wednesday, June 6, 2007

IS IT US, OR IS HAMMERTIME SUDDENLY "IN" AGAIN?

Is it just our imagination or is something going on Black people. I first noticed it when my kids insisted that I look at the latest Hallmark Father's Day commercial.

Have you seen it? This one features some bald, middle-age, surburban White guy receiving a Father's Day card from his equaling vanilla-looking family.

Upon opening the card, MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This" starts playing. Cut to this same guy now looking like - and what's even more hilarious - dancing like Hammer.

Play that funky music White boy...
this dude has the moves.

Because my boys thought this was the funniest thing, I decided to go old school and show them this:

So now me, my wife and the whole family is dancing. My oldest then insists we watch this:

All of a sudden, I feel the need to find my Hammer's Greatest Hits CD. Is it because, as Minnie Ripperton once sang, I'm "Back Down Memory Lane?"

I don't think so. I like good music. I like music that's not calling women bitches, and every other word is not n**** this, n***** that. A 2005-06 study by the Black Youth Project showed I'm not alone. A majority of youth between the ages of 15 to 25 think rap has too many violent images and negative language.

The survey was one of the most comprehensive ever to focus on young African-Americans, according to the Associated Press.

With Black music executives getting 40+ years in prison, and plaintiff cries about the death of hip hop intensifying, this whole "Nappy Headed Ho's" controversy is much bigger than we first realized family.

Don't get distracted by Al Sharpton. What an old, crazy-looking White man said about those African-American sisters from Rutgers will, undoubtedly, go down in history and as the moment when our people finally had to stop and take a good look at ourselves. Thank you Don Imus. Job well done.

Speaking of White men... check out the next post.