Thursday, June 28, 2007

BABIES AND BLOGGING AND... OH BROTHER!


Toni Morrison says that she wrote her novel "The Bluest Eye" with a baby in one hand and a pen in the other.

I'm a writer too. But I am also a single Black man with no children and the only feedings to be concerned with are my own caloric gorge-fests--so I didn't quite appreciate Ms Morrison's statement--until now.

For the past few days I've been watching my goddaughter Milan, a 5-month old cherub, ALL BY MYSELF, while her parents put some much needed time into their career endeavors.

To laundry list all of the baby maintenance considerations I've undergone would be about exciting as well, showing baby pictures, of the same baby, as they miraculously grow from one cute little position to the next--in a day. Plus, most of you, who have children, know this stuff all too well.

However, what I am still trying to wrestle with is how to simply type this blog and all the other writing tasks on my plate with a baby slung over my shoulder.

I'll guess I'll get the hang of it--especially if I plan on being somewhat productive over these next few days. And in getting it, not only will it undoubtedly further my appreciation of writers like Toni Morrison but also deepen my respect for full time parents in general.

Uh oh, Milan just, well... you can imagine.

Now while I'm sitting here gagging, she's giggling.

Babies!