Monday, July 19, 2010

America's Court With Judge Ross - Who Really Sets The Bar?


By Kevin Ross

Curtis and I have always had one of those strange friendships.

We met in high school my junior year. He was a sophomore. Seems like whatever I did, Curtis was always able to do it better.

Much, much better!

I had pretty good grades. Curtis was a solid 'A' student. I became very active in student council and was school president by my senior year. So was he.

We both drove Toyota vehicles. Of course his Celica was much nicer than my Corolla.

On top of that, Curtis was a jock. Basketball.

The only thing that matched his height, was the width of his big smile.

After high school I decided Morehouse College was the best place for me.

Curtis was a UCLA economics major. I BARELY passed economics!

We pledged rival fraternities (I became a Kappa man, Curtis went Alpha Phi Alpha) and had completely different experiences. While I traveled the U.S. during that time, he traveled the world.

I was so excited when, after months of waiting, I finally got accepted into a local law school. Sixteen days after he applied, Curtis was accepted into Stanford University.

How do I know this? Curtis made it a point to tell me.

He would also finish a year before I did!

Although Curtis and I lost contact over the years, our paths crossed again and we began seeing each other daily. That’s because we both ended up studying for the California bar exam at the same place at the exact same time.

Older and less competitive, Curtis and I connected in ways that we hadn’t before. Sure it was still strange being around someone so similar. But here we were, supporting one another, determined to reach the goals in life God intended us to achieve.

Ultimately, I passed the bar. Curtis? Well, he struggled a few more times before overcoming that obstacle. This humbled him in a way that really humanized Curtis. It was definitely a turning point in his life. Something that many of us can relate to.

In the meantime, this man met an incredible woman and proposed to her. You know it had to be in Paris, France. They had a beautiful wedding and bought a lovely home in a very desirable neighborhood in Los Angeles.

I was still renting, living with two roommates. I was, however, working as a Los Angeles County prosecutor. Curtis, ironically, also ended up working for the county doing civil litigation work. No matter what, I couldn’t escape him!

This guy was cut from the same clothe as Barack Obama. His future, unlimited.

But just as he was preparing for trial on his very first case, Curtis suddenly fell ill.

And he never recovered.

On May 7, 1994, Curtis Eugene Lipkins Jr. died of complications related to Sickle Cell. He was just two months shy of turning 30.

Today (July 13, 2010) is his birthday!

As I prepare to embark on this "America’s Court with Judge Ross" journey, Curtis is right here – constantly reminding me that he really would be better at this.

Much, much better!

But I’m going to give it my best, and hopefully you’ll like the show when it launches this fall.

In case you haven’t seen the promo, check it out!

Here’s to the people, past and present, who propel us forward in our lives.

To God be the glory, the one who truly sets the bar!

All Rise!

Boss Ross

(Don't forget to join our Facebook group, and follow us on Twitter .)